Minutes from Boot Architecture meeting today.
grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Wed Jun 29 17:37:49 UTC 2011
Okay, minutes from the last meeting are posted to the wiki, and the
next meeting is scheduled for tomorrow, 3 hours earlier to accommodate
Jean in China (0600MDT, 0800EDT, 1200UTC). Email me if you want to
attend and I'll add you to the invite.
On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 10:47 PM, Grant Likely
<grant.likely at secretlab.ca> wrote:
> Hi all,
> here are the notes from today's meeting. Please look over it an make
> sure all of it is okay by you for posting on the public wiki. If
> there is anything sensitive that should not be published, then let me
> know right away so that I can edit it out.
> Meeting notes from ARM Boot Architecture Meeting, June 23, 2011
> == Attendees ==
> Loïc Minier
> Grant Likely
> Olivier Martin
> Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD
> Jon Masters
> Andrew Pickard
> == Minutes ==
> * Need to think about what do we actually care about and write it down
> * Should be careful to consider non-Linux OSes
> * Want to get to a standard ARM platform
> * Time to market also an important consideration
> Notes on process:
> - We are not a standards body - need to be agile and try to base on
> existing standards
> - We need to be congnisent of other operating systems and other architectures
> Other Topics (maybe to put on the backburner):
> * How to we boot multiple CPUs of heterogeneous architectures
> * How does the boot architecture define how to start other CPUs, and
> other scenarii like kexec or virtualization? security / secure boot
> also impact the boot architecture subtly
> Licensing: GPL might be a problem for some specific pieces of code,
> e.g. touching CPU initialization
> * Specifications should remain as abstract of the licensing as
> possible though
> * Eveything we discuss should be public and avaiable free of charge
> Bootloader consolidation: we agree that there wont be consolidation on
> a single bootloader, instead a variety of bootloaders have to be
> Skeleton of boot architecture plan at
> * Not clear whether we want to specify UI though
> What's the output?
> * Standard?
> * Wiki page? web site?
> * Need to work dynamically in the beginning, then freeze a version 1
> or something of the recommendations
> * Deliverable of some kind at the August Linaro meeting
> Dealing with legacy?
> * Could provide old-world boot media chainloading into new-world boot
> architecture media
> * Hard to implement security architecture in this mode
> * Don't care about legacy beyond a point (why care with product lifecycles?)
> Another output is one or more reference implementation(s) which can be
> deployed in production (be it UEFI, Barebox or whatever)
> Need to make sure we document the things which are NOT covered in our
> Should add definitions for terms; particuarly in the case of secure
> boot terminology.
> Need to handle booting secondary "bootloaders" like GRUB. Need to
> handle bits beyond just kernel, including initramfs, and other data
> images that need to be loaded by the bootloader.
> Power Management & PM handoff to the kernel.
> Plan agenda ahead of calls and assign time slots
> Suggest having a whole day/half day to advance (bootstrap!) this effort
> Topics raised after meeting:
> Privacy: The goal is to have everything open and public, but anybody
> can request for a conversation on the mailing list to be kept private
> in the interest of open communication.
> Minimal "run time" service type of interface for example to allow
> second stage bootloader to retrieve "files". However, this should not
> be massive overkill.
> Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.
> Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.
Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.
More information about the boot-architecture