[Announcement] openSUSE 12.3 preview available for AArch64

Dirk Müller dirk at dmllr.de
Tue Mar 5 17:16:05 UTC 2013

Hi cross-distro readers,

the openSUSE on ARM team was quite busy the last few weeks with
getting openSUSE 12.3 for AArch64 ready. At the time of this post, we
have finished around 4000-4100 packages (out of ~ 6000) of the current
state of the openSUSE 12.3 project for AArch64. With those
successfully built packages, we’re also able to build a regular
openSUSE image for you to try and run in the ARMv8 System emulator
(ARMv8 Foundation Model).

This is a huge achievement and milestone for us, thanks to lots of
helpful hands in openSUSE. Just to put this into context: This is not
a minimal system with a couple of toolchain packages. It is also not
an embedded variant of a Linux environment. No, this is the full
featured, standard openSUSE distribution as you’re used to, ported to
AArch64, up and running. We have built it based on (slightly newer
versions of) standard openSUSE 12.3 packages, and the changes are
mostly already merged back into openSUSE Factory. For all we know it’s
also more successful package builds than any other Linux distribution
has on AArch64! If you’d like to see the status yourself, please check
out the OBS repository we created for this [1].

As an open distribution, it is important to make contributions easy
and we worked hard to enable others to participate in our effort. We
extended OBS (the Open Build Service) to automatically spawn a
Foundation Model virtual machine when you want to build for aarch64.
This works remotely on the OBS server as well as locally using osc
build. Building for AArch64 is therefore as easy as building for any
other architecture, and it feels native to all who are familiar with
the OBS. More information on this is available on the respective wiki
page [2].

So, dive right into it:  Get the image and start with openSUSE on
AArch64 by following our wiki page:
https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:ARM/AArch64.

Please contact the openSUSE Team at opensuse-arm at opensuse.org

Greetings,