State of cross compiler packages
marcin.juszkiewicz at linaro.org
Thu Sep 16 17:19:28 BST 2010
I think that it is easier to describe situation in email then on irc.
Currently there are 4 packages related to cross compilation support:
- armel-cross-toolchain-base (a-c-t-base in short)
Each of them got into archive but they need to be updated to get installable
Status of each package:
1. a-c-t-base is at 1.47 in archive and was built from gcc-4.5-source
4.5.1-6ubuntu1 version. This package is used to bootstrap armel cross
toolchain and generates:
- binutils-arm-linux-gnueabi (from binutils-source)
- libc6(-dev,-dbg)-armel-cross (from eglibc-source)
- linux-libc-dev-armel-cross (from linux-source-2.6.35)
- gcc-4.5-arm-linux-gnueabi-base, libgcc1(-dbg)-armel-cross (from
libgcc1* packages have /usr/share/doc/ directories as symlinks to
I have a version which does not provide gcc-4.5-arm-linux-gnueabi-base
package, libgcc(-dbg)-armel-cross depends on gcc-4.5-base and have
/usr/share/doc/ directories pointing into gcc-4.5-base one. Need to fix
this symlink by providing those files in libgcc1 package instead.
2. gcc-4.4-armel-cross is at 1.36 in archive and was built with gcc-4.4-source
4.4.4-14ubuntu4 version. This package provides compilers,
and gcc-4.4-arm-linux-gnueabi-base packages.
I have 1.38 version ready to upload which fixes #637454 #640298 bugs.
3. gcc-4.5-armel-cross is at 1.35 in archive and was built with gcc-4.5-source
4.5.1-7ubuntu1 version. This package provides compilers and runtime
libraries. But it does not provide libgcc1(-dbg)-armel-cross and
gcc-4.5-arm-linux-gnueabi-base because they are in a-c-t-base source
package. All resulting packages have /usr/share/doc/ directories pointing
into gcc-4.5-arm-linux-gnueabi-base one which is policy violation.
I have 1.37 version ready to upload which fixes #637454 #640298 bugs and
provides gcc-4.5-arm-linux-gnueabi-base package so policy violation is
4. gcc-defaults-armel-cross is at 1.3 in archive and does not require any
Main problem is that packages generated from gcc-4.5-source are split into two
packages: armel-cross-toolchain-base (libgcc1(-dbg)-armel-cross) and
gcc-4.5-armel-cross (all the rest). This was required to allow to bootstrap
cross compiler but gives problems when one is built with other version of
gcc-4.5-source then other - resulting packages are not installable (we have it
now in archive). It is also a thing which Matthias does not like and I
understand it. For now my only solution is to build both with one version of
What are your opinions?
http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/download/ubuntu/ is download link for
JID: hrw at jabber.org
More information about the linaro-dev