Tracking Android kernel tips and Android builds

Andy Green andy.green at linaro.org
Mon Aug 29 15:58:13 UTC 2011

On 08/29/2011 11:41 PM, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
> On 29 August 2011 10:13, Andy Green<andy.green at linaro.org>  wrote:
>> On 08/29/2011 09:22 PM, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
>>
>>> It's not enough if you still want to refer to it via SHA, due to repo
>>> peculiarities. It should be also reachable from one of the live
>>> branches (so, instead of a tag, a branch can be created right away).
>>
>> Sorry... this means for a rebase tree, we have to spawn a new branch per
>> push to public git?  We already spawn a tag per push to keep a finger on the
>> tree so it won't be garbage collected: no great problem, but a branch per
>> push?
>
> I think this can just happen as part of the build cycle. If we track
> the tree directly the build system can lay down a branch automatically
> after release.

Sorry where's this branch going, some internal shadowing repo is it?

> We could probably just update the branch after the automerge step. For
> those who are just getting their feet wet with CI the flow is:

Fine but what's so special about a branch in this "CI flow"?  It should
be just as happy with git reset --hard abcdef which is on no branch so
long as abcdef wasn't garbage collected away.

> Anyway, this isn't an issue with repo, its a sha1 reachability issue.
> repo 's just a foreach git tool.

What do you mean "SHA1 reachability"?  I can "reach" arbitrary HEADs
using a hash even if they're not tagged so long as I didn't garbage
collect.  If I tagged them they're guaranteed to not be garbage
collected.  I can always "reach" them for checkout.  So what is this
"reachability" issue?

The way Paul described it, it sounds like a limitation with this repo
script that it depends on specifically a branch has been checked out.

>> Is it perhaps possible to improve "repo" instead?

-Andy

--
Andy Green | TI Landing Team Leader
Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs | Follow Linaro