Tracking Android kernel tips and Android builds

Andy Green andy.green at linaro.org
Tue Aug 30 02:19:35 UTC 2011

On 08/30/2011 01:15 AM, Somebody in the thread at some point said:

>>> Anyway, this isn't an issue with repo, its a sha1 reachability issue.
>>> repo 's just a foreach git tool.
>>
>> What do you mean "SHA1 reachability"?  I can "reach" arbitrary HEADs using a
>> hash even if they're not tagged so long as I didn't garbage collect.  If I
>> tagged them they're guaranteed to not be garbage collected.  I can always
>> "reach" them for checkout.  So what is this "reachability" issue?
>>
>> The way Paul described it, it sounds like a limitation with this repo script
>> that it depends on specifically a branch has been checked out.
>
> All repo is doing with a pinned-manifest.xml is:
>
> foreach git in this manifest
>      checkout sha1
>
> so as long as you can checkout the sha1 everything is cool. The reason

I think you missed my point, if I tagged it, you CAN check it out.  So
"reachability" is not the issue.

When you check out a hash that is not a branch head, git acts slightly
differently on some commands because the HEAD hash does not match any
branch.  I guess this repo script is not proof against those
differences, which is easy to happen if you only tested it on branches,
and probably not that difficult to solve either.

-Andy

--
Andy Green | TI Landing Team Leader
Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs | Follow Linaro