[powerdebug V2: 14/14] Add configure framework

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at free.fr
Wed Mar 23 15:18:35 UTC 2011

On 03/23/2011 03:55 PM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 March 2011, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
>>> Why would you do this? The changelog is completely empty, and
>>> this seems to be far more complex than the nice and clean
>>> Makefile it replaces, and it adds dependencies on a number
>>> of new tools.
>> Hi Arnd,
>>
>> The ChangeLog is there because the file is checked by the autconf
>> tools.  It is empty right now but I guess we can fill it later.
>> The same for NEW and AUTHORS.
> I was referring to the patch changelog at the start of your email,
> not the file this adds.
>
>> You are right about adding dependencies on a new tools, but as far as I
>> know the projects usually use the configure tools, so in case of
>> development they should be present on the system. The advantage of using
>> these tools is we can easily cross compile with the --host option and we
>> can check the presence of the needed packages like libncurses-dev.
>>
>> About the nice Makefile, we have the Makefile.am which is easy and nice
>> enough. We don't have to check the dependencies as it is automatically
>> generated by automake.
> My experience with automake is that it usually makes cross-compiling
> harder, not easier, and more people are familiar with Makefile
> syntax than with Makefile.am syntax, so it's harder to debug if
> something goes wrong.

About cross compiling it is with the configure script where you setup
the cross compilation:

./configure --host=arm-linux-gnueabi

> With the dependencies, you now add to the existing dependency on a
> single package (ncurses) with multiple dependencies that typically
> need to be there in a specific version, all for the purpose of
> telling the user whether the first dependency is installed or not...

Yes, you add dependencies. Is supposed powerdebug to go in a distro ?
I mean these tools help for packaging with the "make dist" command.
 From my pov, that makes sense to rely on how a distro generates the
packages.

I use the autotools with my project http://lxc.sourceforge.net since
some years now, I don't have to complain.
Moreover, it seems, distro maintainers were happy to have the source
code packaged with these tools.

But anyway, if adding autoconf/automake for powerdebug is a problem, we
can drop the two last patches.
Amit ?

Thanks
   -- Daniel