RFC: ARM: Support for VFP/NEON registers in coredumps

Ulrich Weigand Ulrich.Weigand at de.ibm.com
Fri Mar 25 13:40:24 UTC 2011

Dave Martin <dave.martin at linaro.org> wrote:

> I was indeed thinking that it might be a good idea to take this
> opportunity to migrate to using regsets; though for simplicity, I'll
> probably avoid this for the first iteration.
>
> Will this have any impact on the ptrace interface?

Well, once you support regsets, the PTRACE_GETREGSET/PTRACE_SETREGSET
commands will start working.  However, on platforms that already had
commands to access registers, platform-specific code will of course
need to continue to support those.

See e.g. arch/powerpc/kernel/ptrace.c, which by now implements all
of its legacy ptrace register commands in terms of regset functions.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best Regards

Ulrich Weigand

--
  Dr. Ulrich Weigand | Phone: +49-7031/16-3727
  STSM, GNU compiler and toolchain for Linux on System z and Cell/B.E.