Preliminary wiki starting page for i.MX53 QuickStart board

Zygmunt Krynicki zygmunt.krynicki at linaro.org
Fri Sep 2 21:15:56 UTC 2011

W dniu 02.09.2011 20:31, Christian Robottom Reis pisze:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 03:41:34PM +0800, Eric Miao wrote:
>> https://wiki.linaro.org/Boards/MX53QuickStart
>>
>> Sorry guys, although been pushed and pinged several times by various people
>> we are finally able to come up with a preliminary starting page for i.MX53
>> QuickStart board.  It's currently very simple, and hopefully we'll get it
>> more detailed in the future.
>>
>> Feedback is welcome!
>
> Oh, this is excellent. Thanks for putting the effort into the write-up.
> All I need now is an actual board to tell you how well it works ;-)
>
> I had one comment, which is that the "Downloading Hardware Pack" section
> seems to only specify the "lt" variant; does it make sense to also point
> to the pure upstream variant for comparison (or for people that are
> hell-bent on an upstreamable kernel?)
>
> Also, there is nothing mentioned in the text about the bootloader (what
> comes on the board, and what the default boot media ordering is, and how
> to replace it). Is that not worth mentioning?

I read all about how to boot that board. I'm working on booting via USB.
I think the best way to proceed is to link to the official board
documentation (a hefty PDF) with page/paragraph references.

BTW: if anyone is interested in helping me out, have some
work-in-progress code at lp:~zkrynicki/+junk/lava-imx53-serial-boot
(serial as in "serial download mode offered by the boot-rom", not
"serial cable").

I'm interested in looking at payloads that can be injected. The
complicated part is that unlike my initial assumption (hey, just put the
bootloader at some correct address and go) one may to put three kinds of
"payload". It seems one is the bootloader, one ... and I'm just guessing
here... determines how to initialize DRAM and other peripherals and the
third one is anyone's guess.

I read about this more on freescale developer forum and it seems that
the freescale documentation is a cut-down version of the NDA-required
document that also describes secure boot.

If anyone can help me sign the NDA to give Linaro (and LAVA) solid USB
boot support for iMX53 (hey, we could test bootloaders this way) feel
free to email me in private.

Thanks
ZK

PS: I'll find the PDF on my disk, figure out where I got it from and
update the wiki.