What our customers want from Android

Ricardo Salveti ricardo.salveti at linaro.org
Thu Feb 2 01:32:00 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:00 AM, Bharathi Subramanian
<bharathi.list at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I feel, Linaro should maintain only 2 versions - stable and unstable
> external source. instead of maintain staging, tracking, landing,
> mainline etc .. I understand internally lot of activities may happen
> with partners. But for external people, it is should be simple. As of
> now, only people who are closely tracking the Linaro development can
> start using the code quickly. Others cannot and it is not the case
> with AOSP.

While I see that it's useful for people to use the outcome of the
Android team to create products, I believe it's quite hard to keep
both stable and unstable with the goals and the resources we have. As
Zack said, these costumers don't actually care much if they are
running the latest stuff available, as long it behaves similarly as
AOSP. I believe we might have only two options here: have something
awesome to show that everybody will want no matter what (even Google),
or improving the user/developer experience a lot, making it even
better and easier than just grabbing the sources from AOSP.

But one thing is clear for me, If we think that we can't reach any of
these goals, for me it'd make sense to drop the whole stable
discussion, and focus even more on trying to get stuff at upstream, so
when people decide to use AOSP, they will already consume what Linaro
helped producing (what is the *real* stuff IMHO, as it'll improve the
*whole* thing).

Cheers,
--
Ricardo Salveti de Araujo