[ACTIVITY] (Anton Vorontsov) 2011-12-26 - 2012-01-13

Anton Vorontsov avorontsov at dev.rtsoft.ru
Fri Jan 13 22:16:55 UTC 2012

OK, still can't manage to make it weekly stuff, but for now the main reason
for this is a somewhat disturbing long holidays (which I used as my
vacation); so, this status report actually covers just this week (except
Monday, which was a holiday as well).

== Community contributions ==

* Some work for power supply tree. Managed to review charger manager and
  TI LP8727 drivers. This is now all in mainline via this pull request;
  http://lkml.org/lkml/2012/1/10/514

* Sent a small missing patch for Android lowmemorykiller (well,
  I thought that I sent it two days earlier, but for some reason it did
  not get past my local MTA. But Greg says that it still has chances
  to slip into 3.3);
  http://lkml.org/lkml/2012/1/13/251

== Completed Work Items ==

* Performed some lowmemorykiller behaviour tests regarding how it
  handles full file cache conditions (as suggested by KOSAKI Motohiro),
  and there are indeed some problems: it starts killing processes even
  if there is plenty of file cache (read free memory). Well, it also
  might be "intentional", as rereading data from slow medium might be
  a bad idea, and since we don't have much control what exactly file
  cache contains, it might be better to kill unneeded tasks (and
  free guaranteed amount of memory), then just reclaim random memory
  from the cache;

* Apart from testing latest mainstream kernel and ensuring that the
  new staging code does work, nothing much has been done.

== Plans ==

* Continue work on current lowmemorykiller, i.e. further work on file
  cache issue, think about a better strategy. Investigate whether we
  could get rid of tasklist_lock;

* Update blueprints;

* Finally pick over other patches that need upstreaming.

--
Anton Vorontsov
Email: cbouatmailru at gmail.com