[Linaro-mm-sig] Split GEM from the rest of DRM

Jordan Crouse jcrouse at codeaurora.org
Thu Apr 21 17:48:36 UTC 2011

During the MM BoF at ELC, it seemed to me that one of the things that scared
most ARM vendors away from GEM in the first place is that was perceived to be
too closely married to the rest of DRM (especially KMS).

I know that some might argue that isn't necessarily true and we can go back
and forth on that point, but I think it is still valuable to ask this question:

How feasible is it to break out the GEM portion of DRM (essentially drm_gem.c)
and put it into its own subsystem or library component for use by a DRM or
a non DRM component.  What parts would a non DRM component be missing to use
GEM effectively (authentication comes to mind)?

Jordan