[Linaro-mm-sig] [RFC] dma-shared-buf: Add buffer sharing framework

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Fri Sep 2 15:51:37 UTC 2011

On Friday 02 September 2011, Clark, Rob wrote:
> > Imho the appeal of this is that there's no preferred party of a shared
> > buffer (the one the buffer originated from and allocated it), but that is
> > handled by the dma core (and some platform specific magic for really weird
> > cases).
> >
> > We could even go so far and make the dma_buf creation a real syscall
> > instead of shoving it into some random ioctls.
>
> hmm, I don't quite get why making it a syscall would help..

It was indeed one of the main drivers for the current design to have no
specific way to create a dma buffer but to let every subsystem handle
it in its own way. That doesn't prevent you from adding a chardev, file
system or syscall that only has the purpose of creating dma buffers,
but it should not be essential to have that.

	Arnd