[Linaro-mm-sig] [RFC] dma-shared-buf: Add buffer sharing framework

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Thu Sep 8 20:28:49 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 12:39:41PM -0500, Clark, Rob wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:
> >> >
> >> Ah... I guess I misunderstood your 'it seems like a sane approach' to mean
> >> you agree with the 2-step process suggested by Daniel :) - my bad!
> >
> > On re-reading Rob's response I think there's a misunderstanding. I don't
> > want a create function in the dma_buf_ops. The create would be a generic
> > dma_buf subsystem function that (like in the patch) allocates the struct
> > and properly registers the fd and what not else. The attach_device would
> > then be the only new function in dma_buf_ops.
> >
> > The confusion probably stems from my other proposal to hide these function
> > pointers behind small inline helpers for the in-kernel api.
>
> I guess/assume that what you are trying to get to is a way to
> differentiate between "I am done DMA'ing to the buffer now, but will
> likely use it again (ie. feel free to cache the mapping)", and "I am
> done forever w/ the buffer (don't bother caching)"?

Hm, no, I haven't really thought much about the release side. dri2/gem
doesn't have any automatic caching of shared buffers, btw, that's all done
manually (i.e. in the higher levels like the mesa/ddx drivers) by keeping
track of recently shared buffers (and hanging onto them for as long as
possible without creating havoc on the other side).
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Mail: daniel at ffwll.ch