Toolchain WG - 2010-07-12 Meeting notes and activity report for last week
loic.minier at linaro.org
Thu Jul 15 21:57:40 BST 2010
[ Resent to linaro-toolchain at . ]
Sorry for the belated post; please find below the minutes from Monday's
Toolchain Working Group meeting and the activity reports from the
You can find the full meeting notes at
= Monday 12th July 2010 =
== Agenda ==
* Review action items from last meeting
* New linaro-toolchain mailing-list
* Topics for sprint [[Internal/Events/2010-07-PlatformSprint]]
* Release, version numbers, uploading tarballs
* No meetings next week
* Blueprint status
* Initial delivery of Linaro GCC 4.4
* Cross Compiler Packages
== Action Items from this Meeting ==
* Andrew to propose the triplet change to toolchain upstream
* Andrew to send email to Debian ARM on best triplet
* MLH to pickup perl if pbrook doesn't have a patch by Monday evening UTC
* MLH to write up wants as a toolchain developer/tester
* Marcin to check if xdeb incorrectly produces a package findutils-armel
* Loic to push changes on mysql
== Action Items from Previous Meeting ==
* Loic and Andrew to extend wiki page to track progress of the merging
of Ubuntu patches, assignees etc. DONE
* Loic to setup and run a call on merge workflow with bzr DONE
* Matthias to sort autotools issues with new cell-4.4 Linaro patch or
to ask Ulrich for help :-) DONE
* Marcin to fix -gcc symlink (LP #600927) and update-alternatives
installability issue in his public cross-compiler packages DONE
* Yao to update
page for the issue with ADA support and the patches he merged
* Yao to update
wiki page for the removal of the license patch DONE
* Loic to create a linaro-toolchain-drivers team which can upload
tarballs PARTIAL Group created, tarball upload currently not working
== Minutes ==
* The linaro-toolchain list for toolchain related chatter; please
* Loic called for sprint topics. See
* Meetings have been cancelled for the week of the sprint
* Mentioned the upcoming hardfp port that Debian is investigating
* Port is too large for Linaro itself
* Toolchain should support - best place to support, easiest to
maintain due to doko
* Better choice for Debian as they may get support from Linaro; won't
from CSL 2010 Lite edition
* Noted that there's disagreement on the Debian triplet and position
of the hf marker. Problem is what is correct vs which is the path
of least resistance.
* ACTION Andrew to propose the triplet change to toolchain upstream?
* Noted that the ARM EABI is a family of ABIs that different vendors
take variants from
* ACTION Andrew to send email to Debian ARM on best triplet
* Milestone issue review
* ACTION MLH to try perl if no progress is made by pbrook
* getfem++ can't be reproduced
* vect/* won't fix
* mysql fix is ugly
* pr9771-1.c MLH to continue or send patch otherwise
* neon triggered by march=armv7a which should have occurred with
* Can lower priority if a missed optimisation
* MLH wants help on how to best use the packaging system to do what
he's used to such as
* Build exactly what the Ubuntu PPA will end up as
* Build a cross-compiler to try ARM failures on a fast machine
* Do an incremental build
* Do a non-bootstrap build
* Run the compiler under a debugger
* Use the test compiler to build a package
* ACTION MLH to write up wants
* Andrew has a process to build the tarball and will run the
certification process afterwards
* Loic recommended CSL developers to have local hardware
* Blueprints status
* Initial 4.4 release reviewed. Done except Ada patch. Andrew to
edit whiteboard to note
* Update broken Ubuntu patches
* Loic suggests reviewing Ubuntu patches month to month
* Cross compiler (Marcin)
* Tidying up ugly GCC hacks
* Stage 1 is now clean
* ACTION Marcin to check if xdeb incorrectly produces a package
* ACTION Loic to push changes to mysql
* Michael will run Wednesday standup call
Activity reports from preceding week:
= Ulrich Weigand =
== GCC ==
* Resolved merge conflicts between cell-branch.diff and gcc444-linaro.diff
(investigated and fixed additional autoconf-related build issue)
* Investigated bug #602287; resolved as won't-fix for Linaro 4.4
* Started investigating bug #602289
== GDB ==
* Completed build and regression test of GDB 7.2 branch on beagle board
* Started working on hardware-breakpoint-support blueprint
== Education ==
* Continued getting familiar with Debian package build process
* Continued getting familiar with Launchpad infrastructure
* Read ARMv7 Architecture Reference Manual
== Infrastructure ==
* Got remote access to Loic's beagle board
* Started process to acquire IGEPv2 board
= Yao Qi =
== Linaro GCC ==
* Ubuntu patch ada-acats.diff on linaro gcc 4.4.
ada-acats.diff and its dependent patches cause some regression
failures. Spent a lot of time on trying different patch sets to
linoar gcc 4.4, but failures do go away. Checked the build log of
ubuntu gcc, and the same failures are there. We decide to leave
this ubuntu patch.
* Merged 19 ubuntu patches to linaro gcc 4.4.
Learn bzr push/merge/branch/commit. Very good version control tool,
and well-collaborated with launchpad.
* Revert license patch in linaro gcc 4.4.
* Merge CS GCC 4.4 patches to CS GCC 4.5.
Choose three patches from Julian's ARM patch list. Two of them are
committed into CS GCC 4.5. The third is sent to CS internal review.
== Misc ==
* Some meetings on linaro status.
= Andrew Stubbs =
== GCC 4.4 ==
* Continued refining the blueprints. We now have the initial 4.4
toolchain delivery blueprint finalised.
* Entered bugs for each of the test regressions in the Ubuntu GCC vs.
* Reviewed Yao's launchpad merge request for the Ubuntu GCC patches.
It was all good, so I approved the request and did the merge.
* Reviewed the ARM test failures to make sure they were what we
anticipated they would be.
* Reviewed some of the Ubuntu patches marked "Needs review". Decided
not to use two, rewrote the third and submitted the new patch for
review. Matthias has now accepted it, and applied it to Debian also.
* Found out how to create gnu-style release tarballs and wrote a
Linaro GCC release procedure document for the wiki.
== GCC 4.5 ==
* Assisted Yao with his patch porting work, and made sure he had
things to do.
= Loic Minier =
* Repaired Beagleboard to boot again
* Cross-built ncurses; did other xdeb tests
* Added color codes and improved structure of
* Discussed armhf port, started
* Started sprint planning and associated wiki pages
More information about the linaro-toolchain