arm thumb veneer question

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Sep 22 11:48:17 BST 2010

Dear Dave Martin,

In message <AANLkTi=3GCRv00HRA=aXzrV1XxJTcBAV=2H_QeTR0=2R at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> >> non-interworking branch. ld has no way the veneer needs to be PIC and
> >> use the GOT, so it isn't and doesn't.
> >
> > Stupid question: why not?
>
> Because U-Boot doesn't build PIC for ARM (I notice it does for some
> other arches).

You are referring to old code. John explitly mentioned that he was
working on the "next" branch, which has this:

	# needed for relocation
	PLATFORM_RELFLAGS += -fPIC

Note that BEFORE commit f1d2b31 ("ARM: add relocation support") we
did not see such issues (at least I never did, and my underwstanding
is that John didn't either).

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Time is fluid ... like a river with currents, eddies, backwash.
	-- Spock, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0