gcc segfaults when building v8 (nodejs)

Michael Hope michael.hope at linaro.org
Mon Sep 19 03:00:33 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 9:34 AM, AJ ONeal <coolaj86 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Using the Linaro prebuilt package from a few days ago I got a segfault in
> gcc that is not manifest in a version from a few months earlier.
> Details are here:
> https://gist.github.com/1223209
> A small snippet:
>
> g++ -o obj/release/jsregexp.o -c -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -Wall -W
> -Wno-unused-parameter -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wno-abi -pedantic
> -mfloat-abi=softfp -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -fdata-sections
> -ffunction-sections -ansi -fno-strict-aliasing -DCAN_USE_VFP_INSTRUCTIONS
> -DUSE_EABI_HARDFLOAT=0 -DV8_TARGET_ARCH_ARM -DENABLE_DEBUGGER_SUPPORT
> -I/home/user/Code/node/deps/v8/src
> /home/user/Code/node/deps/v8/src/jsregexp.cc
>
> g++: Internal error: Segmentation fault (program as)

Hi AJ.  I'm pretty sure you're running out of memory.  The build
scripts run four jobs in parallel which means you have four memory
hungry steps running when jsregexp comes along.

I couldn't figure out how to turn down the build level.  There's an
environment variable called JOBS but it didn't seem to work.  Hacking
the build script CMakeFiles/v8_extprj.dir/build.make to change the the
-j 4 to -j 1 cleared the problem.

-- Michael