[Linaro-validation] visualizing lab status

Andy Doan andy.doan at linaro.org
Wed Apr 4 03:18:34 UTC 2012

On 4/3/12 7:50 PM, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thinking about various lab health and other issues has made me want to
> see the current and historical state of a lab in a more sohpisticated
> way.
>
> I've messed around in inkscape a bit to show the sort of thing I mean --
> can you guess what the attached image is meant to represent?  I hope
> it's fairly obvious, or there isn't much point in all this.
>
> To be clear:
>
>   * each board gets a horizontal line
>   * time increases along the x-axis
>   * at a given moment, the line being narrow for a board indicates no job
>     is running
>   * a narrow green line means IDLE, a narrow grey line means OFFLINE
>   * a wider line means a job is running, or alternatively jobs are
>     represented by fatter blobs
>   * a red blob is a job that did not complete
>   * a green blob is a job that completed ok
>
> Ideally, the view would support zooming and scrolling.

The JS Flot library has zoom/scroll support (but see comments below)

<snip>
> We might want a variant that has a line for each device type, and
> somehow aggegrates the jobs running on different boards.  Not sure how
> this would work though.

I think this would be valuable, but I'd like to hear ideas about how to
aggregate the data up.

<snip>
> Do you guys think we should create this view?

I like it!

> I would really like to
> have it, but I don't have a clear intuition on how hard it would be.  I
> think it would make sense to mostly implement it in js, using some kind
> of js library.  I don't know of any library that would specifically help
> (is there a name for this sort of visualization I can google for?) but
> I'm sure it could be done with raphael (http://raphaeljs.com/) and maybe
> d3 (http://mbostock.github.com/d3/) but I'm not really super up-to-date
> on the latest whizzery in js visualization space.

I used Flot for the benchmark visuals. Flot claims a lot and has
different plug-ins. However, I found the plug-ins don't always work
together when you need to combine a couple. It also seems the main
community wasn't really accepting some fixes I'd think were needed. I'd
be happy to chat with you about more details, but it might not be the
right tool for this problem.

-andy