[Linaro-validation] USB drives are fantastic

Zygmunt Krynicki zygmunt.krynicki at linaro.org
Fri Jan 27 13:33:53 UTC 2012

Hi guys.

This is just a note, perhaps we'll be able to go down this route
(eventually) perhaps it will never be viable.
SD cards are utter crap. USB disks are fantastic. I'm currently
recovering my home server that died yesterday night due to a bad SD
card. Luckily I kept the image as l-m-c would crash attempting to
write it to my SD card adapter.

Now I'm just finishing the final configuration bits (sadly those parts
were lost with that card) and came to realize how painless and
efficient a simple USB disk is. Would it be possible to change our
deployment to use SD _just_ to store a recovery uboot and recovery
kernel? Could we try to stick the master rootfs and test rootfs (and
all those android partitions) directly on the HDD?

PS: Apart from just working, it seems that current kernels have a big
issue with very slow storage (like thumb drives and sd cards) and
transparent huge tables. I cannot say it is directly the case on my
iMX53 but "idle" system load on a regular SD card was around 4-5
(writing to syslog, keeping up with small squid traffic of my home
users) while the same system, with the same set of services on a run
off the mill 2.5" HDD can barely climb above 0.5.

Best regards
ZK