[Linaro-validation] Using ip=dhpc is evil

Ricardo Salveti ricardo.salveti at linaro.org
Wed Mar 14 06:29:15 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Zygmunt Krynicki
<zygmunt.krynicki at linaro.org> wrote:
> W dniu 13.03.2012 14:49, Alexander Sack pisze:
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Zygmunt Krynicki
>> <zygmunt.krynicki at linaro.org <mailto:zygmunt.krynicki at linaro.org>> wrote:
>>
>>    W dniu 13.03.2012 14:35, Loïc Minier pisze:
>>
>>        On Tue, Mar 13, 2012, Zygmunt Krynicki wrote:
>>
>>            I'm trying to use my snowball for development testing. It
>>            seems that
>>            having kernel command line specify ip=dhpc is evil as that
>>            makes all
>>            of the userspace network configuration not to happen.
>>
>>            When this happens ifup scripts are not executed and ntpdate
>>            is never
>>            invoked. I have not debugged this correctly yet but that
>>            seems to be
>>            the case for me.
>>

>>          ip=dhcp is typically meant for NFS root, or sometimes when
>>        you're just
>>          starting an initrd and would like the kernel to configure the
>>        network
>>          interface for you, but it's usually a bad idea for anything
>>        else; would
>>          be best to stop passing this and use the network setup of the
>>        rootfs.
>>

>>    Right. I've found that this option is somehow provided by default on
>>    my V1 (no typo here) snowball with the current desktop image. It
>>    would be prudent to check if any other boards are affected.
>>
>> That's part of the hwpack meta info, no? If so, bark at Ricardo's tree
>> (CCed) :). I agree that adding ip=dhcp by default feels incorrect, but I
>> don't know the background...
>
> I'll try to figure out where it comes from. If anyone wants to help have a
> look at this:
>
> https://pastebin.linaro.org/433/

>From your /proc/cmdline it's clear that u-boot/kernel didn't load your
boot script.

Can you check your u-boot's env and also give the full dmesg output?

For newer u-boot I believe you could try latest u-boot-linaro, as John
is working on doing the proper support for Snowball this cycle. Check
with him to see if it'd also work on a V1.

Thanks,
--
Ricardo Salveti de Araujo