Subject: [PATCH 4.9] arm64: module: remove (NOLOAD) from linker script

From: Fangrui Song <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 00:12:09 -0800

commit 4013e26670c590944abdab56c4fa797527b74325 upstream.

On ELF, (NOLOAD) sets the section type to SHT_NOBITS[1]. It is conceptually
inappropriate for .plt and .text.* sections which are always
SHT_PROGBITS.

In GNU ld, if PLT entries are needed, .plt will be SHT_PROGBITS anyway
and (NOLOAD) will be essentially ignored. In ld.lld, since
https://reviews.llvm.org/D118840 ("[ELF] Support (TYPE=<value>) to
customize the output section type"), ld.lld will report a `section type
mismatch` error. Just remove (NOLOAD) to fix the error.

[1] https://lld.llvm.org/ELF/linker_script.html As of today, "The
section should be marked as not loadable" on
https://sourceware.org/binutils/docs/ld/Output-Section-Type.html is
outdated for ELF.

Tested-by: Nathan Chancellor <[email-masked]>
Reported-by: Nathan Chancellor <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Fangrui Song <[email-masked]>
Acked-by: Ard Biesheuvel <[email-masked]>
Link: https://lore.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]
Signed-off-by: Will Deacon <[email-masked]>
[nathan: Fix conflicts due to lack of 596b0474d3d9, be0f272bfc83, and 24af6c4e4e0f]
Signed-off-by: Nathan Chancellor <[email-masked]>
---
 arch/arm64/kernel/module.lds | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/arch/arm64/kernel/module.lds b/arch/arm64/kernel/module.lds
index 8949f6c6f729..05881e2b414c 100644
--- a/arch/arm64/kernel/module.lds
+++ b/arch/arm64/kernel/module.lds
@@ -1,3 +1,3 @@
 SECTIONS {
-	.plt (NOLOAD) : { BYTE(0) }
+	.plt : { BYTE(0) }
 }

base-commit: ae62da6ae3f6d9c7ea62960573f8a48df434e7a4
-- 
2.35.1