Subject: [PATCH 10/39] net: socket: fix a missing-check bug

From: Wenwen Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 09:36:46 -0500

[ Upstream commit b6168562c8ce2bd5a30e213021650422e08764dc ]

In ethtool_ioctl(), the ioctl command 'ethcmd' is checked through a switch
statement to see whether it is necessary to pre-process the ethtool
structure, because, as mentioned in the comment, the structure
ethtool_rxnfc is defined with padding. If yes, a user-space buffer 'rxnfc'
is allocated through compat_alloc_user_space(). One thing to note here is
that, if 'ethcmd' is ETHTOOL_GRXCLSRLALL, the size of the buffer 'rxnfc' is
partially determined by 'rule_cnt', which is actually acquired from the
user-space buffer 'compat_rxnfc', i.e., 'compat_rxnfc->rule_cnt', through
get_user(). After 'rxnfc' is allocated, the data in the original user-space
buffer 'compat_rxnfc' is then copied to 'rxnfc' through copy_in_user(),
including the 'rule_cnt' field. However, after this copy, no check is
re-enforced on 'rxnfc->rule_cnt'. So it is possible that a malicious user
race to change the value in the 'compat_rxnfc->rule_cnt' between these two
copies. Through this way, the attacker can bypass the previous check on
'rule_cnt' and inject malicious data. This can cause undefined behavior of
the kernel and introduce potential security risk.

This patch avoids the above issue via copying the value acquired by
get_user() to 'rxnfc->rule_cn', if 'ethcmd' is ETHTOOL_GRXCLSRLALL.

Signed-off-by: Wenwen Wang <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <[email-masked]>
---
 net/socket.c | 11 ++++++++---
 1 file changed, 8 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/net/socket.c b/net/socket.c
index d4187ac17d55..fcb18a7ed14b 100644
--- a/net/socket.c
+++ b/net/socket.c
@@ -2887,9 +2887,14 @@ static int ethtool_ioctl(struct net *net, struct compat_ifreq __user *ifr32)
 		    copy_in_user(&rxnfc->fs.ring_cookie,
 				 &compat_rxnfc->fs.ring_cookie,
 				 (void __user *)(&rxnfc->fs.location + 1) -
-				 (void __user *)&rxnfc->fs.ring_cookie) ||
-		    copy_in_user(&rxnfc->rule_cnt, &compat_rxnfc->rule_cnt,
-				 sizeof(rxnfc->rule_cnt)))
+				 (void __user *)&rxnfc->fs.ring_cookie))
+			return -EFAULT;
+		if (ethcmd == ETHTOOL_GRXCLSRLALL) {
+			if (put_user(rule_cnt, &rxnfc->rule_cnt))
+				return -EFAULT;
+		} else if (copy_in_user(&rxnfc->rule_cnt,
+					&compat_rxnfc->rule_cnt,
+					sizeof(rxnfc->rule_cnt)))
 			return -EFAULT;
 	}
 
-- 
2.19.1