Subject: [PATCH 13/32] net-sysfs: Fix reference count leak

From: Jouni Hogander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 09:51:03 +0200

[ Upstream commit cb626bf566eb4433318d35681286c494f04fedcc ]

Netdev_register_kobject is calling device_initialize. In case of error
reference taken by device_initialize is not given up.

Drivers are supposed to call free_netdev in case of error. In non-error
case the last reference is given up there and device release sequence
is triggered. In error case this reference is kept and the release
sequence is never started.

Fix this by setting reg_state as NETREG_UNREGISTERED if registering
fails.

This is the rootcause for couple of memory leaks reported by Syzkaller:

BUG: memory leak unreferenced object 0xffff8880675ca008 (size 256):
  comm "netdev_register", pid 281, jiffies 4294696663 (age 6.808s)
  hex dump (first 32 bytes):
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
  backtrace:
    [<0000000058ca4711>] kmem_cache_alloc_trace+0x167/0x280
    [<000000002340019b>] device_add+0x882/0x1750
    [<000000001d588c3a>] netdev_register_kobject+0x128/0x380
    [<0000000011ef5535>] register_netdevice+0xa1b/0xf00
    [<000000007fcf1c99>] __tun_chr_ioctl+0x20d5/0x3dd0
    [<000000006a5b7b2b>] tun_chr_ioctl+0x2f/0x40
    [<00000000f30f834a>] do_vfs_ioctl+0x1c7/0x1510
    [<00000000fba062ea>] ksys_ioctl+0x99/0xb0
    [<00000000b1c1b8d2>] __x64_sys_ioctl+0x78/0xb0
    [<00000000984cabb9>] do_syscall_64+0x16f/0x580
    [<000000000bde033d>] entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xa9
    [<00000000e6ca2d9f>] 0xffffffffffffffff

BUG: memory leak
unreferenced object 0xffff8880668ba588 (size 8):
  comm "kobject_set_nam", pid 286, jiffies 4294725297 (age 9.871s)
  hex dump (first 8 bytes):
    6e 72 30 00 cc be df 2b                          nr0....+
  backtrace:
    [<00000000a322332a>] __kmalloc_track_caller+0x16e/0x290
    [<00000000236fd26b>] kstrdup+0x3e/0x70
    [<00000000dd4a2815>] kstrdup_const+0x3e/0x50
    [<0000000049a377fc>] kvasprintf_const+0x10e/0x160
    [<00000000627fc711>] kobject_set_name_vargs+0x5b/0x140
    [<0000000019eeab06>] dev_set_name+0xc0/0xf0
    [<0000000069cb12bc>] netdev_register_kobject+0xc8/0x320
    [<00000000f2e83732>] register_netdevice+0xa1b/0xf00
    [<000000009e1f57cc>] __tun_chr_ioctl+0x20d5/0x3dd0
    [<000000009c560784>] tun_chr_ioctl+0x2f/0x40
    [<000000000d759e02>] do_vfs_ioctl+0x1c7/0x1510
    [<00000000351d7c31>] ksys_ioctl+0x99/0xb0
    [<000000008390040a>] __x64_sys_ioctl+0x78/0xb0
    [<0000000052d196b7>] do_syscall_64+0x16f/0x580
    [<0000000019af9236>] entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xa9
    [<00000000bc384531>] 0xffffffffffffffff

v3 -> v4:
  Set reg_state to NETREG_UNREGISTERED if registering fails

v2 -> v3:
* Replaced BUG_ON with WARN_ON in free_netdev and netdev_release

v1 -> v2:
* Relying on driver calling free_netdev rather than calling
  put_device directly in error path

Reported-by: [email-masked]
Cc: David Miller <[email-masked]>
Cc: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>
Cc: Lukas Bulwahn <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Jouni Hogander <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <[email-masked]>
---
 net/core/dev.c | 4 +++-
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/net/core/dev.c b/net/core/dev.c
index 3a94ec2610ea..af6ee5ff4fda 100644
--- a/net/core/dev.c
+++ b/net/core/dev.c
@@ -9082,8 +9082,10 @@ int register_netdevice(struct net_device *dev)
 		goto err_uninit;
 
 	ret = netdev_register_kobject(dev);
-	if (ret)
+	if (ret) {
+		dev->reg_state = NETREG_UNREGISTERED;
 		goto err_uninit;
+	}
 	dev->reg_state = NETREG_REGISTERED;
 
 	__netdev_update_features(dev);
-- 
2.21.1