Subject: [PATCH 5.15 02/10] MIPS: Move '-Wa,-msoft-float' check from as-option to cc-option

From: Nathan Chancellor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 11:04:36 -0700

This patch is for linux-6.1.y and earlier, it has no direct mainline
equivalent.

In order to backport commit d5c8d6e0fa61 ("kbuild: Update assembler
calls to use proper flags and language target") to resolve a separate
issue regarding PowerPC, the problem noticed and fixed by
commit 80a20d2f8288 ("MIPS: Always use -Wa,-msoft-float and eliminate
GAS_HAS_SET_HARDFLOAT") needs to be addressed. Unfortunately, 6.1 and
earlier do not contain commit e4412739472b ("Documentation: raise
minimum supported version of binutils to 2.25"), so it cannot be assumed
that all supported versions of GNU as have support for -msoft-float.

In order to switch from KBUILD_CFLAGS to KBUILD_AFLAGS in as-option
without consequence, move the '-Wa,-msoft-float' check to cc-option,
including '$(cflags-y)' directly to avoid the issue mentioned in
commit 80a20d2f8288 ("MIPS: Always use -Wa,-msoft-float and eliminate
GAS_HAS_SET_HARDFLOAT").

Signed-off-by: Nathan Chancellor <[email-masked]>
---
 arch/mips/Makefile | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/arch/mips/Makefile b/arch/mips/Makefile
index 37048fbffdb7..e5d4a804070d 100644
--- a/arch/mips/Makefile
+++ b/arch/mips/Makefile
@@ -110,7 +110,7 @@ endif
 # (specifically newer than 2.24.51.20140728) we then also need to explicitly
 # set ".set hardfloat" in all files which manipulate floating point registers.
 #
-ifneq ($(call as-option,-Wa$(comma)-msoft-float,),)
+ifneq ($(call cc-option,$(cflags-y) -Wa$(comma)-msoft-float,),)
 	cflags-y		+= -DGAS_HAS_SET_HARDFLOAT -Wa,-msoft-float
 endif
 
-- 
2.49.0