Timestamps always 0x0 on Xilinx Zynq Ultrascale+

Al Grant Al.Grant at arm.com
Wed Feb 20 17:57:11 UTC 2019

> First, thank you Al for your suggestion to examine TSGEN memory. That was the
> right path. The EN bit of the CNTCR register was indeed 0 and setting it to 1
> enabled timestamps:
>
>         Idx:82685; ID:16;       I_TIMESTAMP : Timestamp.; Updated val =
> 0x143dba290
>         Idx:82978; ID:16;       I_TIMESTAMP : Timestamp.; Updated val =
> 0x143dbdc28
>         Idx:83713; ID:10;       I_TIMESTAMP : Timestamp.; Updated val =
> 0x14565a9ff
>         Idx:87068; ID:10;       I_TIMESTAMP : Timestamp.; Updated val =
> 0x14568896e
>         Idx:87828; ID:10;       I_TIMESTAMP : Timestamp.; Updated val =
> 0x146f25d9f
>         Idx:91159; ID:10;       I_TIMESTAMP : Timestamp.; Updated val =
> 0x146f536ac
>
> For now, I configured U-Boot to do 'mw fe900000 1' before each boot, so I
> don't have to do it via 'busybox devmem' from Linux - the latter solution requires
> kernel built with DEVMEM=y and STRICT_DEVMEM=n.

Thanks for following up. It's really useful to have that feedback.
It would be interesting to know if the timestamp is correlated with
the kernel timestamp. It occurred to me that just starting and
stopping TSGEN dynamically, might not be a good idea, if the
timestamp actually stops - if that was the case, then to get a
trace timestamp that could be correlated with the continuously
running system timestamp used by the kernel, we'd need to think
a bit more about how we set up TSGEN.

Enabling the trace timestamp at boot and leaving it enabled is fine,
as it at least ensures both timestamps are running all the time.
For production devices where we care about having no power
impact from trace except when actually tracing, we still need to
think about enabling the timestamp dynamically.

Al