[Linaro-dev] What about the middleware?

Alexander Sack asac at linaro.org
Tue Jun 8 11:52:01 BST 2010

Hi!

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 06:43:43PM +0500, Shaz wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> No one has yet discussed the middleware. Am I on the wrong list?

no, you are absolutely right here :) ... welcome!

> I have been working on a number of middlewares and dbus is the defacto
> standard for all. I see a lot of work going on the FreeSmartPhone.Org
> (FSO) [1] standard's implementation. It is being consumed by Angstrom,
> debian like and other embedded OSes.
>
> FSO is based on the specifications of freedesktop.org [2] therefore I
> can't see a better middleware technology. Are there any better
> alternatives?

Better? We don't know yet :). The current focus of linaro is to drive
middleware through full UI stack requirements and enabling driver/hardware
vendors and upstream developers to collaborate on getting those stacks stabilized
and properly integrated in linaro.

For example, on the graphics driver front, one of our focus areas for the
time being is getting clutter + gles working this cycle. For that we are making
the mesa/clutter gles packaging available which would then enable driver and
hardware vendors and unity/clutter developers to make the drivers fit for that
use case [1]. Also on graphics, we plan to do some initial experiments with
embedded qt and there qt-lighthouse in particular, which should give us another
way to drive the armel graphics stack and make these technologies easily
available in some archive [2].

The other focus areas we have selected for this cycle is integrating
a telepathy based telephony stack by pairing telepathy with ofono and then
shipping an experimental dialer app with desktop integration to easily make
phone calls [3].

Another topic for now - which is currently not a real focus area though - is
make an initial push forward on the gps integration. If there are ideas on
where we can better integrate GPS solutions, let us know.

OK, if you see other important topics that would deserve some attention
in short/midterm on middleware don't hesitate to talk to me. Either here, or
on #linaro on irc.freenode.net (nick: asac).

 [1] - https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/arm-m-graphics-stack-on-x
 [2] - https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/arm-m-qt-on-embedded
 [3] - https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/arm-m-telephony-stack

 - Alexander