[Linaro-dev] What about the middleware?

JD Zheng entropy.zjd at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 18:14:38 BST 2010

> Better? We don't know yet :). The current focus of linaro is to drive
> middleware through full UI stack requirements and enabling driver/hardware
> vendors and upstream developers to collaborate on getting those stacks
> stabilized
> and properly integrated in linaro.
>
> For example, on the graphics driver front, one of our focus areas for the
> time being is getting clutter + gles working this cycle. For that we are
> making
> the mesa/clutter gles packaging available which would then enable driver
> and
> hardware vendors and unity/clutter developers to make the drivers fit for
> that
> use case [1]. Also on graphics, we plan to do some initial experiments with
> embedded qt and there qt-lighthouse in particular, which should give us
> another
> way to drive the armel graphics stack and make these technologies easily
> available in some archive [2].

Seems linaro is trying 2 approaches: X based(clutter + GTK?) or Framebuffer
based (Qt embedded). I'd suggest to support Qt for X11 too as it can provide
unified UI/App framework and hide X or framebuffer details from upper layer.

I understand a lot of effort right now is focusing on GTK but I do see that
vendor needs the flexibility to use same app in X or X less environment.

For Qt embedded side, some experiment can be done to strip down the size of
it, for example, only including stripped QtCore and QtGui to provide minimal
foot print (Maybe it requires Qt to be more modular.)

Another thing is Gallium3D, is there plan to try it out on ARM?

> The other focus areas we have selected for this cycle is integrating
> a telepathy based telephony stack by pairing telepathy with ofono and then
> shipping an experimental dialer app with desktop integration to easily make
> phone calls [3].
>
> I think MeeGo is doing the same thing, maybe linaro can share effort with
MeeGo.
Will it include Cellular call and SIP call?