[Linaro-dev] The minutes from this weeks kernel consolidation working group meeting

Jamie Bennett jamie.bennett at linaro.org
Wed Jun 16 14:35:20 BST 2010


Hi,

A summary from this weeks kernel consolidation working group meeting
is now available.
It can be viewed online at the following link and is reproduced below.

https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/KernelConsolidation/Meetings/20100616

A list of all meetings can be found at:

https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/KernelConsolidation/Meetings

== Wed 16th June 2010 ==
=== Links ===
 * [[WorkingGroups/KernelConsolidation/20100509| Previous meeting]]
 * [[WorkingGroups/KernelConsolidation/20100623| Next meeting]]

=== Attendees ===
 * Jamie Bennett ''(JamieBennett)''
 * Jeremy Kerr ''(jk)''
 * Amit Kucheria ''(amitk)''
 * Loic Minier ''(lool)''
 * Nicolas Pitre ''(npitre)''
 * Matt Waddel ''(mattman)''

=== Agenda ===
 * Action points from last meeting.
 * Blueprint status.
 .
 ||<rowbgcolor="#333333" rowstyle="color: white; font-weight:
bold;"style="text-align: center;">Blueprint ||<style="text-align:
center;">Assignee ||
 ||<^>[[https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/arm-m-using-device-tree-on-arm|arm-m-using-device-tree-on-arm]]
|| Jeremy Kerr ||
 ||<^>[[https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/arm-m-kernel-version-alignment|arm-m-kernel-version-alignment]]
|| Nicolas Pitre ||
 ||<^>[[https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/arm-m-kernel-power-management-consolidation|arm-m-kernel-power-management-consolidation]]
|| Amit Kucheria ||
 ||<^>[[https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/arm-m-missing-security-features|arm-m-missing-security-features]]
|| Dave Martin ||
 ||<^>[[https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/arm-m-debugging-with-oprofile|arm-m-debugging-with-oprofile]]
|| Will Deacon ||
 ||<^>[[https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/arm-m-alsa-soc-fdt-bindings|arm-m-alsa-soc-fdt-bindings]]
|| Grant Likely ||
 ||<^>[[https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kernel-maverick-arm-single-zimage|kernel-maverick-arm-single-zimage]]
|| Eric Miao ||
 ||<^>[[https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/arm-m-versatile-express-a9-enablement|amr-m-versatile-express-a9-enablement]]
|| Matt Waddel ||

=== Action Points ===
 * jk to send out call for help on ALSA device-tree work.
 * lool will contact Will to discuss if this needs back porting.
 * lool to talk to IS about getting clone support.
 * npitre to briefly look into git configuration on IS behalf. lool
may need to investigate further if no answer can be found.
 * npitre to add a text file to the git tree explaining where and what
has been merged into the consolidation kernel tree.
 * npitre to produce a wiki page describing his git kernel tree and
the policies and procedures for merging.
 * amitk to discuss the lack ARM comments so far with slangasek
 * npitre to use the Linaro tool chain to see if the issue persists.
 * lool to invite John Rigby to future kernel Work Group calls to
discuss the uboot and boot interface in general.


=== Action Points from Previous Meeting ===
 * jk to put a basic template on devicetree.org to outline this.
 * jk and jamiebennett to try to get participants to work on this.
 * npitre to looking into producing a kernel module for testing the
kernel stack protector.
 * amitk to expand the wiki to give more device information and send
out and email.
 * davem to mail Catalin to discuss the flow of kernel patches from
ARM to Ubuntu/Linaro.
 * jk to reignite discussion on the mailing lists.

=== Minutes ===
 * jk put basic ALSA template up at http://devicetree.org/SoC_Audio,
not complete.
 * [ACTION] jk to send out call for help on ALSA device-tree work.
 * amitk produced a list of hardware that is interesting to Linaro at
this moment in time:
  * [[https://wiki.linaro.org/Teams/Foundations#Kernel%20consolidation]]
 * amitk was asked the status of imx51 upstream.
  * He explained that everything that was rewritten from scratch is
now upstream. Base board, USB, i2c, serial, all there.
  * Some 2.6.36 patches need back-porting to 2.6.35. amitk offered to
maintain a tree that npitre to pull from.
 * jk explained that the device-tree spec had good discussion lately.
Most work is done and reviewers are only requesting small changes.
  * jk needs to talk to npitre about the boot interface.
  * nitre explained that Russell King is still waiting for a real
implementation before he is convinced it is the right way forward.
This is coming and has a lot of support.
  * 2.6.36 could be a target for the device tree work if reviewers
comments are favorable, not entirely optimistic though.
 * Will Deacon has sent patches for hardware break-point support to
the mailing list. npitre is in contact with Will about this.
  * [ACTION] lool will contact Will to discuss if this needs back porting.
 * npitre said that git.linaro.org cannot currently clone trees.
  * [ACTION] lool to talk to IS about getting clone support.
  * [ACTION] npitre to briefly look into git configuration on IS
behalf. lool may need to investigate further if no answer can be
found.
 * [ACTION] npitre to add a text file to the git tree explaining where
and what has been merged into the consolidation kernel tree.
 * [ACTION] nitre to produce a wiki page describing his git kernel
tree and the policies and procedures for merging.
 * amitk is waiting on ARM to spec out the kernel power management
features they care about so they can be added to the blueprint. lool
suggested that amitk should just continue on without the feedback for
now to get the review process started, folding in any future comments
later.
 * [ACTION] amitk to discuss the lack ARM comments so far with slangasek
 * Most of the missing security features have already been implemented
by npitre. Some tool chain support is needed to support further work
on this spec. For example, everything needs to be compiled with
position independent code.
  * npitre has asked for feedback from ARM on the security test he
produced that didn’t produce a result he expected. No response yet as
the main contact on this is absent. The tool chain nitre is using is
the Code Sourcery one. lool asked if npitre could use the official
Linaro tool chain just released.
  * [ACTION] npitre to use the Linaro tool chain to see if the issue persists.
 * amitk has a patch for his work items on the security spec. This
needs testing before sending to npitre.
 * The state of uboot was discussed. The team agreed that in the
short-term one uboot per SoC would be desirable.
  * [ACTION] lool to invite John Rigby to future kernel Work Group
calls to discuss the uboot and boot interface in general.
 * jk explained that the ALSA blueprint should probably be considered
done now there is partial documentation available as there is little
interest from people who could actually do the work this cycle.
 * mattman has produced a new blueprint:
  * https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/arm-m-versatile-express-a9-enablement

Regards,
Jamie.
--
Linaro Release Manager
www.linaro.org



More information about the Linaro-dev mailing list