[Linaro-dev] Universal ARM bringup image

Nicolas Pitre nicolas.pitre at linaro.org
Fri Jun 25 19:47:45 BST 2010

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010, Peter Pearse wrote:

> Hi
>
>     I'm posting this to see if anyone, especially from the Linaro
> partners, sees a use for a universal ARM bringup image.
>
>     This small (<64MB ) flasheable image would contain an FDT enabled
> boot loader and kernel. It would contain (at least) drivers for common
> UARTs, network chips & USB devices.
>
>     This would allow a prototype board to be brought to the stage
> where the standard Ubuntu USB installer image could be booted, without
> the effort of a full boot loader & kernel port.
>
>     Only the device tree for the new platform would need to be
> developed initially, allowing the full ports to be developed alongside
> the initial debugging of the prototype platform.

The above is indeed the plan.

However we're far from it due to several technical issues which are
prerequisites to some universal support, with or without FDT.  The most
important ones (in term of work effort involved) are discussed here:

	https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Specs/ARMSingleKernel

Work on some of those already started with the bulk of the discussion
taking place on the linux-arm-kernel mailing list.

Nicolas