[Linaro-dev] Contributing in development.

pankaj chauhan pankaj.chauhan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 14:40:29 BST 2010

On Sun, 2010-06-27 at 15:04 +0200, Amar Nath wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Loïc Minier <loic.minier at linaro.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 23, 2010, pankaj chauhan wrote:
> > > I joined few days back with intention to contribute in development.
> > [...]
> > > Are we going to have some formal start of project emails on the list?
> > > how would i know which areas require contribution from volunteers?
> >
> >  So it kind of depends what your areas of interest and expertise lie.
> >  Usually, people have an itch to scratch, or a particular problem to
> >  solve and they start discussing how they could address it.  For
> >  instance, some people would like to build images for a new board, or
> >  would like to build binaries for different optimizations, or an
> >  incompatible ABI, or would like to add a new feature to the toolchain
> >  etc.
> >
> >  Perhaps you can check how we currently do things and see where it
> >  doesn't meet your expectations, then start attacking this problem?
> >
> >  There are some ongoing projects for this cycle where additional hands
> >  could be useful, but these are not fully specified yet; e.g. we know
> >  some software fails to build with recent ARM toolchain configurations,
> >  or that some software doesn't cross-build, but it's not easy to point
> >  you at lists of such bugs right now.
> >
> >   Hope this helps,
> > --
> > Loïc Minier

> Wouldn't it be good to have some wiki page on how to get started with Linaro?
>
> Even I have similar expertise as that of Pankaj and was interested in
> contributing.
> But from what I understand, all discussions happen in IRC channels, and its very
> difficult for people living in different places to join IRC at the
> same time. So, as
> Jiandong suggested, its good to atleast have a summary mail here.
>
> Regards,
> -Amar

In fact i was also expecting that discussions will happen on dev mailing
list (something similar to linux-arm-kernel). Advantage is that if
discussions happen on mailing lists then you can follow topics for
sometime and then get involved when sufficient home work is done.

I also think people will not be follow what is happening on IRC channels
because of different time zones and work environments. For example i can
not connect to any IRC from work even if i have some spare time.

so summary/Question is can we have active development discussions on
this mailing list?

-pankaj