[Linaro-dev] Python2.5 compatibilty requirement for the Infrastructure Team

Guilherme Salgado guilherme.salgado at linaro.org
Tue Jun 29 13:34:15 BST 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 13:43 +0200, Zygmunt Bazyli Krynicki wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> Our current developer guidelines for python development state that we
> should support both python2.5 and python2.6.

I suggested that because it should be fairly easy to achieve this as
long as we don't use any 2.6-only things that depend on new language
features (e.g. the abc module or class decorators).  I no longer think
supporting 2.5 is a good idea, though, given that it adds some more
constraints and python2.6 has been released nearly 2 years ago.

Also, yesterday I suggested we might want to not worry about 2.5 for now
and, if necessary, backport our code to 2.5 if it's ever needed. I don't
think that's a good idea either -- my gut feeling is that backporting
code that uses class decorators or the abc module will be quite painful.

> I'd like to ask if python2.5 can be dropped from the list. I just took
> the steps required to test python2.5 (and removed 2.6-only features in
> the process). I had to use Hardy VM to do so because python 2.5 is no
> longer available in the Lucid archive. Doing additional testing in a VM
> is cumbersome and error-prone as we can accidentally slip in a 2.6-only
> code or trigger 2.5 bug we didn't know about and it might go untested.

I think it's fine to drop 2.5 support.

> Can we rationalise the requirements for supporting python2.5 and if so,
> devise a sensible testing plan for our python development?
>
> BTW: It's worth publishing our python development practices on the
> Linaro wiki.

Definitely

--
Guilherme Salgado <https://launchpad.net/~salgado>