Libjpeg-turbo rebuild status

Tom Gall tom.gall at
Mon Nov 28 19:55:10 UTC 2011

Hi Matthias,

Over the Thanksgiving holiday the compile-o-rama complete for all the
packages from the main and universe archives that had deps on
libjpeg-dev. The results of the build can be found in my libjpeg-turbo

In summary, 114 packages were rebuilt against the libjpeg-turbo's
version of -dev.

One package vtk resulted in the only 2 failures that have been
experienced. One failure on x86, and one on x86_64. Both failures were
caused not by problems with libjpeg-turbo but rather with poor build
time deps specified in the package. This can be witnessed in the logs:

I have also updated the raw performance numbers for libjpeg-turbo in
our wiki. (I haven't updated the graphs yet)

All raw performance numbers are now from oneiric. I've also included
numbers from a 3.3Gz i5-2500 to the mix as well numbers taken on the
Quickstart board with the lib instructed to not use NEON.

With SIMD for intel/arm environment performance is substantially
better in all cases. With NEON off in libjpeg-turbo, performance is at
least equal and in some cases better than libjpeg8.

All that said, what is the next step?

"We want great men who, when fortune frowns will not be discouraged."
- Colonel Henry Knox │ Open source software for ARM SoCs
w) tom.gall att
w) tom_gall att
h) tom_gall att