Libjpeg-turbo rebuild status

Matthias Klose matthias.klose at
Tue Nov 29 13:32:00 UTC 2011

On 11/28/2011 08:55 PM, Tom Gall wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
> Over the Thanksgiving holiday the compile-o-rama complete for all the
> packages from the main and universe archives that had deps on
> libjpeg-dev. The results of the build can be found in my libjpeg-turbo
> ppa:
> In summary, 114 packages were rebuilt against the libjpeg-turbo's
> version of -dev.
> One package vtk resulted in the only 2 failures that have been
> experienced. One failure on x86, and one on x86_64. Both failures were
> caused not by problems with libjpeg-turbo but rather with poor build
> time deps specified in the package. This can be witnessed in the logs:
> I have also updated the raw performance numbers for libjpeg-turbo in
> our wiki. (I haven't updated the graphs yet)
> All raw performance numbers are now from oneiric. I've also included
> numbers from a 3.3Gz i5-2500 to the mix as well numbers taken on the
> Quickstart board with the lib instructed to not use NEON.
> With SIMD for intel/arm environment performance is substantially
> better in all cases. With NEON off in libjpeg-turbo, performance is at
> least equal and in some cases better than libjpeg8.

thanks for doing these checks.

> All that said, what is the next step?

Currently libjpeg-turbo8 diverts libjpeg8, which doesn't allow removal of
libjpeg8. I would suggest to build the binary packages currently built from the
libjpeg8 source package from the libjpeg-turbo package.  Using the same package
names instead of providing the libjpeg8 binary package names does have the
advantage that versioned dependencies will still work without changes.

Such a package could be reviewed and uploaded after the alpha1 release.