Proposal for a low-level Linux display framework

Daniel Vetter daniel at
Fri Sep 16 14:17:19 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 07:55:37PM -0500, Keith Packard wrote:
> I suspect helper functions would be a good model to follow, rather than
> trying to create a whole new device infrastructure; some of the
> communication paths aren't easily separable from the underlying output
> devices.

This. Helper functions make the driver writers life so much easier - if
your hw doesn't quite fit the model, you can usually extend functionality
with much less fuzz than if there's a full framework. This is also pretty
much the reason, why I don't like ttm.
Daniel Vetter
Mail: daniel at
Mobile: +41 (0)79 365 57 48