llct "stable" trees

Andy Green andy.green at linaro.org
Thu Aug 30 10:55:51 UTC 2012

Hi -

We've been getting some good mileage from the llct-based tilt-3.4
history tree the last months.

However a couple of points have been raised by TI which really boil down
to being about the deal with llct post-release.  We know that it goes on
mutating and tracking as it should, but the release-specific version,
like "linux-linaro-3.4" just sits there afaik.

The points raised were:

1) Can we have linux stable point release content in tilt-3.4?  Rather
than my doing it, isn't it better to add it to llc-3.4 and merge it on
the lt history tree periodically?  That way every lt can get them from
one place.

2) What's the deal with things that were the latest and greatest at that
time, ie, the best "CMA" or whatever series was in tracking, but after
it got copied out to be linux-linaro-core-3.4, horrible bugs were fixed
in linux-linaro-tracking?  What's happening is that TI are sticking with
these releases for a fair time as the basis for their release to customers.

I can see there's tension between tracking-style fix it for the future,
and backport to old and crusty things, there's also issue of testing,
but there must be some cases where this makes some sense.  Again people
looking after the feature tree for llct are best placed to make those
calls about, "hm, that looks like it should maybe also go on the last
couple of llc release trees".

What do you think about this?

-Andy

--
Andy Green | TI Landing Team Leader
Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs | Follow Linaro