3, 2, 1....BLASTOFF

Alexander Spyridakis a.spyridakis at virtualopensystems.com
Fri Mar 2 23:45:51 UTC 2012

On 29 February 2012 14:25, Vishal Bhoj <vishal.bhoj at linaro.org> wrote:

> I am starting with fastmodel and getting Android booting on it .I am
> currently using RTSM_VE for A15 to start with and NFS filesystem. UART is
> simulated as ttyAMA0 and logs could be captured through it. The plan is to
> support A9, A15 and A15 + A7 combinations.

Hello,

Sorry if I am late to chime in, but Virtual Open Systems has already done
some work regarding Android on A15 FastModels. You can find a proof of
concept guide/tutorial on our homepage <http://www.virtualopensystems.com/>.

As a base kernel we use the latest kvm-a15-v6
branch<https://github.com/virtualopensystems/linux-kvm-arm>,
together with the attached Android patch set and kernel configuration.

Most things seem to work, although performance is far from perfect, as any
rendering to the framebuffer can slow things to a drag. Also, for the time
being sound doesn't work and there is no USB for Fast Models (no USB
storage and some applications depend on it). Booting seems to be working
for both NFS and MMC (less that 2GB image) but MMC seems to be a bit faster
in my experience (although NFS is more convenient). Logcat still complains
about various stuff and I guess that a lot of things could be improved.

For the Android userland you should use this set of
patches<http://linux-arm.org/git?p=armdroid.git;a=commit;h=58fb51bf42b867b6f3639fbaa74beba114f03fb5>against
AOSP.  If not, SystemUI will always nag you with an exception pop
up and Wallpapers and Gallery won't work. Alternatively you can just run
"pm disable com.android.systemui" and the nagging pop up will vanish but
wallpaper rendering still won't work. I've already tried successfully the
Linaro Android Images for Versatile Express and they are working, but the
mentioned SystemUI exception still remains.

If you need further details please let me know.

Sincerely, Alexander Spyridakis.