[RFC] First pass config fragment breakout for linaro kernel

John Stultz john.stultz at linaro.org
Tue Mar 27 16:36:18 UTC 2012

On 03/27/2012 06:40 AM, Jon Medhurst (Tixy) wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-03-26 at 12:20 -0700, John Stultz wrote:
>> I suspect we'll need an ubuntu specific fragment as well as all the
>> other board fragments.
> The Ubuntu packaging scripts check that various config options are set,
> using these I have created an unbuntu.conf (attached) - I doubt this is
> what could be called a final version.
Very cool! Thanks so much for providing this! I'll add it to my tree.

> The packaging scripts also have various checks for Linaro config options
> which I believe are missing from linaro-base.conf, these are:
>
>    CONFIG_HW_PERF_EVENTS=y
>    CONFIG_ENABLE_DEFAULT_TRACERS=y || CONFIG_GENERIC_TRACER=y

I'll add these as well, thanks so much!

> Finally, where can I find links to any docs on config fragments? I
> started trying to create a fragment for vexpress which just contained:
>
> CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS=y
> CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_CA9X4=y
>
> but merge_config.sh said "Value requested for CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS not
> in final .config".

So this is likely due to the ARCH_VEXPRESS option having dependencies
that aren't met.

They way I usually sort this out is, after building the config.  I call
make menuconfig and hit "/ARCH_VEXPRESS" and it will show the current
state of the dependencies for that option. The ones that aren't set, I
then add to the config fragment.

But as the larger point about documentation, its severely lacking right
now.  My apologies for that.  I'll see if I can find some time in the
near future to improve this. If you have any specific documentation
suggestions, I'd be happy to incorporate them .

thanks
-john