[RFC] First pass config fragment breakout for linaro kernel

Andy Green andy.green at linaro.org
Wed Mar 28 12:07:54 UTC 2012

On 03/27/2012 04:48 PM, Somebody in the thread at some point said:

> Is there a recommended way of generating a config fragment for a board?
>
> Currently, the vexpress config is quite large and its origin is unknown
> to the LT.  If I remove the linaro-base.conf entries from our config, we
> still end up with a config that is 793 lines long.

One way would be "make oldconfig" their starting-point then add it your
arch-specific needs.

But we shouldn't be patching configs, but defconfigs.

If you do make savedefconfig, it'll create you a file "defconfig" that
just contains the delta from your .config and "all defaults".

If you use that to create patches against the defconfigs, you'll find
you're dealing with much shorter deltas that 793 lines.

-Andy

--
Andy Green | TI Landing Team Leader
Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs | Follow Linaro