Config fragment for Versatile Express [ was: [RFC] First pass config fragment breakout for linaro kernel]

John Stultz john.stultz at linaro.org
Thu Mar 29 18:00:14 UTC 2012

On 03/29/2012 02:22 AM, Jon Medhurst (Tixy) wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-03-26 at 12:20 -0700, John Stultz wrote:
>> So after talking about it at the last Linaro Connect, I've finally
>> gotten around to making a first pass at providing config fragments for
>> the linaro kernel.  I'd like to propose merging this for 12.04, and
>> doing so early so we can make sure that all the desired config options
>> are present in the fragments and to allow the vairous linaro build
>> systems to begin migrating their config generation over.
>>
>> The current tree is here:
>>
>>       http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=people/jstultz/android.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/linaro-configs-3.3
>>
> [...]
>> I'd ask Landing teams to take a look at this, and report any missing
>> config options or fragment chunks they'd like to see.
> John, I've attached a config fragment for Versatile Express.
Great! I've merged that in!  There's a few warnings though:

Value requested for CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_DT not in final .config
Requested value:  CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS_DT=y
Actual value:

Value requested for CONFIG_FB_ARMHDLCD not in final .config
Requested value:  CONFIG_FB_ARMHDLCD=y
Actual value:

I'm guessing these are features not in the base 3.3 tree? If so you
might want to break those out and re-add them with those patches.

> This includes loadable module support because one of our topic branches
> adds the gator module with a default config of 'm'. I did this because
> Linaro kernels are expected to have this module available but I didn't
> see any reason for it to be built-in, and as there may be versioning
> issues between it and the separate user side daemon, I thought it wise
> to keep the door open for loading an alternate module obtained from
> elsewhere. That decision does mean that all Linaro kernels would need
> loadable module support built in, but I don't think that is a bad idea.

Tushar had similar request, but I don't think the android configs (at
least the ones I've managed) use modules, so I've added the MODULES=y to
the common ubuntu.conf file.

If this is still objectionable, it can be changed and we can push it
down to the linaro-base.conf, but I want to make sure the Android tree
doesn't run into trouble.

thanks
-john