My work on cross compiler packages

Hector Oron hector.oron at
Tue Jul 27 17:54:31 BST 2010

2010/7/27 Marcin Juszkiewicz <marcin.juszkiewicz at>:
> Dnia wtorek, 27 lipca 2010 o 14:03:57 Loïc Minier napisał(a):
>> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
>> > And here I have a problem. How much of debian/ directory should be
>> > provided in *-source binary packages? Minimal set just to be able to
>> > call "dpkg- buildpackage -b" and get wanted output or rather
>> > everything just in case?
>>  So currently, various -source packages do various things; some
>>  -source packages ship the upstream tarball + patches separately, other
>>  ship a patched upstream tarball, and in one case it's upstream tarball
>>  + patches + some rules file to apply them.
> You forgot about binutils which ships patched sources tarball + patches.
>>  I personally find that very inelegant and inconsistent.

It would be good to amend Debian policy in this respect - having a
consistent format for -source packages - if you find it appropriate.
I would even go further and I would try to have all (build-)essential
packages provide a consistent -source package, for easier work on
bootstrapping $distribution from source.

>>  What I'd recommend is copying over ../$source_$version.dsc and files it
>>  references into the -source binary package; if someone isn't happy
>>  about reading from ../, or has a better idea, they will speak up  :-)

If there is no standardized way of doing so, anything you do might
conflict with others work and it would probably be considered as a

Best regards, :-)
 Héctor Orón

-- Day DVB-T stop working nicely
Video flare: