Unity is strength... when there is teamwork and collaboration, wonderful
things can be achieved.
The Linaro 13.04 release is now available for download!
The 13.04 Linaro release highlights the focused efforts of all the Linaro
Teams – Working Groups, Landing Teams and Platform Teams who have
provided all the updates and new features that are integrated on top of
Android, Ubuntu and OpenEmbedded during this release cycle.
The 13.04 release cycle has been one of the busiest and most productive
cycles to date. There were 7 individual team releases during this cycle
all of which help build the foundation of the Linaro 13.04 release.
It is through the teamwork and collaboration between Linaro, its members
and community that the achievements of each are unified in these monthly
releases and continue to build the future of Linux on ARM.
Quality builds continue to be the foundation on which the future of Linux
on ARM is being built, this quality is ensured through our testing and
validation teams. Fedora support has been merged in LAVA and users can
now submit LAVA jobs using a Fedora pre-built image. The QA Team
announced that tests to cover big.LITTLE cluster init and shutdown have
been added to the big.LITTLE core test suite and big.LITTLE extended test
case scenarios have been implemented.
Our Builds and Baselines teams are the footers that support this
foundation of collaboration and during the 13.04 release front, Dalvik VM
unit test has now been automated and the native toolchain on Android has
been updated to Linaro GCC 4.8. The Android tree has been updated to
compile with GCC 4.8 based toolchains and all related changes have been
upstreamed. The ARMv7 KVM enabled kernels intergrated into our pre-built
images are now built daily and tested in Linaro's CI loop.
The OpenEmbedded ARMv8 engineering build now provides 64bit HipHop VM
requirements for porting and optimization purposes. The OpenEmbedded test
cases have been automated and a current list of these tests can be found
The Linaro Kernel WG focused on the following areas during this release
cycle: refactor EHCI controller code, depopulate Exynos/ux500/plat-nomadik,
expand binder unit test, improve eMMC power management support, port some
of the platforms to multi-platform support, Android upstreaming effort,
and much more.
Additional highlights include the release of a big.LITTLE porting guide
by the Power Management WG and Linaro GCC 4.8 by the Linaro Toolchain WG.
We encourage everybody to use the 13.04 release. The download links for
all images and components are available on our downloads page:
See the detailed highlights of this release to get an overview of what
has been accomplished by the Working Groups, Landing Teams and Platform
== LAVA ==
* Prototype of a new publishing system is used to overcome performance
problems with android-build.linaro.org.
* Calxeda EnergyCore support is merged in LAVA. A user can submit LAVA
jobs to highbank device type.
* An isolated system has been set up in LAVA lab for web benchmarking on
Calxeda EnergyCore servers.
* Fedora support is merged in LAVA. A user can submit LAVA jobs using a
Fedora pre-built image.
* Boot commands are untangled from LAVA dispatcher. They're now read
* Additional PandaBoard-ES (OMAP4460) have been deploy for LAVA and
* lava-test-shell supports waiting for homescreen in Android images.
* Nexus implementation in LAVA is generalized and reusable for other
devices that support fastboot/adb.
* Versatile Express A5 is back online in LAVA.
* Linaro Image Tools 2013.04 released.
* Highbank (Calxeda) support is added.
* Automatically disable automount, and enable it at exit.
* Fixed MMC option for Snowball board when using eMMC.
* Various PEP8 fixes.
* More xml-rpc APIs available in LAVA dashboard to make life easy.
* Test Definitions now available in LAVA dashboard. Accumulation of
meta-data via test definitions started.
== Builds and Baselines ==
* Dalvik VM unit test has been automated.
* Accelerated video playback support on Android was added for Origen Quad.
* Skia and 0xbench tests were added into lava-test-shell.
* Test suite builder has been set up to provide test suite binaries as
an overlay for Android.
* Toolchain integration
* Native toolchain on Android updated to 4.8.
* Binaries for GCC 4.7 and 4.8 based toolchains released.
* Android tree updated to compile with 4.8 based toolchains, all
related changes upstreamed.
* ARMv7 KVM enabled kernels and images are daily built and tested in
Linaro's CI loop.
* OpenEmbedded ARMv8 engineering build provides 64bit HipHop VM
requirements for porting and optimization purposes.
* OpenEmbedded test cases have been automated. See current list on
* Linux Linaro 3.9 2013.04 released
* based on linux-linaro-core-tracking tree, llct-20130417.0 tag:
* based on v3.9-rc7
* numa patches moved from Samsung LT's topic into a separate llct
* updated linaro-android-3.9 topic by John Stultz
* updated config fragments for vexpress, vexpress64, omap4, u8500
* updated kvm-arm-configs topic
* gator version 5.14 (new version)
* big-LITTLE-MP version master-v16
* armdroid-ashmem and armdroid-binder topics by Serban Constantinescu
* tb-ethernet topic for Snowball from STE Landing Team to fix
the on-board ethernet
* fixes for Bug:1160968 and Bug:1166707
* updated Versatile Express patches from ARM LT
* updated arndale/exynos patches from Samsung LT
* a patch to enable perf in Android by Bernhard Rosenkraenzer
* vexpress64 support (both RTSM and Foundation model)
* panda-fix-usb topic to make USB and on-board ethernet to work on
Panda with Device Tree enabled (cherry-pick/forward port of some of
* a few fixes for MMC on Snowball from STE Landing Team
* patch from ARM LT to fix lockups/crashes seen when enabling function
tracer on TC2 with the not yet mainlined cpuidle driver
* fixes for Bug:1161037, Bug:1166892, Bug:1166707 and Bug:1169324
* New or updated packages available from Linaro's Overlay PPA
* edk2-uefi, gator-daemon, gator, openssl and powerdebug.
== Graphics ==
* (upstream) debugfs support released, accepted for 3.10
* AV playback bringup on Jelly Bean on Origen Quad complete and released
to Android Team
* (upstream) patches to adds common FIMD device node for all Exynos4 SoCs.
* gles2-all refreshed and released via git
* android support refreshed and released via git
* opencl-arm established with fixes specifically for ARM, released via
* (upstream) variable-index read and write ported to support
GL SL ES 1.00 released as patches
* (upstream) non lvalue generated tests for the glslparser tests ported
to GLSL ES 1.00 released as patches
* channel swap for panda has been fixed in 3.9 and 3.8 as well.
* PoC SNU CPU only OpenCL lib investigated and ported to armhf,
available via git
== Kernel ==
* Refactor EHCI controller code
* Prepared V3 version patches depending upon V2 review comments
* Submitted V4 version ehci orion,msm,spear,s5p and atmel for upstream
* Splitted Tegra patch into two separate patches one is general patch
(changes required for tegra patch) and other one is tegra changes
* Depopulate the Exynos <mach-exynos/include-mach> directory
* Convert all users of gpio to pinctrl and remove gpio.h for Exynos5
* Add device tree support for cpufreq driver and remove regs-cpufreq.h file
* Remove includes from spi-s3c64xx
* Remove includes from usb-ehci-s5p
* Remove includes from usb-ohci-exynos
* Remove regs-usb-phy.h file
* Remove sysmmu.h file
* Remove timex.h file
* Remove includes from rtc-s3c
* Remove includes from fb-s3c
* Expanded Binder Unit Test
* Implement base ioctl unit tests
* Depopulate the ux500 and plat-nomadik <mach/*> and <plat/*>
* Iterate patches and collect ACKs so they can be merged
* Obtain the last ACK from MFD subsystem maintainer
* Send pull request to ARM SoC maintainers
* Log commit URL to arm-soc tree to wrap it up
* Improve eMMC Power Management Support
* Merge patches to add a skeleton for doing background operations at
idle time, based on runtime PM
* Port some of the simpler platforms to multiplatform support
* integrator: get to a state where DT is working fully as a prerequisite
* pci: fix PCI device tree problems when resolving IRQs
* Finalize Nomadik DT transition by moving the clocks to DT
* Convert u300 to DT as a prerequisite
* Android upstreaming: ashmem
* First pass to make Minchan's non-vma based approach work for files
sent to LKML
* Got madvise style interface working on mmaped file pages as well
* Prep for lsf-mm discussion
* Sent background information for lsf-mm
* Presented at lsf-mm. Summary is available on
* Android upstreaming: ram-console
* Review and push pstore enhancements from AOSP usptream (Queued by
Anton for 3.10)
* Android upstreaming: keyreset driver
* Address Arve's comments
* Get timer functionality queued for 3.10
* Added filesystem sync before rebooting the system - patch sent
upstream for review
* Android alarm-dev compat_ioctl support
* Investigate the failure (log e.g. here
* Patch test as needed
* Integrate workaround to stop system_services to make the tests pass
in linux-linaro Android
* Check that tests pass on Juice-aosp with the system services shutdown
* Implement and upstream ARM 32 bit uprobes support
* Review existing uprobes patches
* Uplevel and test existing patches
== Power Management ==
* Porting guide for big.LITTLE switcher is available (internal only)
* cpuidle : consolidate ARM drivers
* Upstream broadcast timer logic in the cpuidle framework
* Upstream imx6, u8500, OMAP4 use this framework
* Fix OMAP3 time keeping flag
* Fix shmobile init sections
* Fix shmobile enter function
* Fix device count initialization for tegra2
* Fix davinci enter function
* Fix powerpc time keeping
* Upstream these patches
* Write a register cpuidle function with the common code
* Take into account this function inside the different drivers
* OMAP3 remove wrap enter function usage
* Remove time keeping flag from the cpuidle framework
* Cleanup SH cpuidle driver
* DVFS for the Common Clock Framework
* Merge reentrancy patch for 3.10
* Beautify Kconfig and Makefile
* thermal: Powertop Integration
* Add basic RFC patch and send for review
* Linaro PM QA 0.4.1 2013.04 released. Fixed in this release:
* Bug:1156614 Intermediate results should not use pass/fail,
it confuses LAVA
* Bug:1156610 Android distribution of pm-qa test assets are in a
read-only filesystem folder that causes tests to fail
* test for cpu topology attributes
* test to check cpuidle statistics
* removed the obsolete sched_mc tests
* Linaro Powerdebug 0.6.3 2013-04 released. Fixed in this release:
* Bug:827828 handle SIGWINCH signals
* Bug:1014667 "not enough memory to allocate regulators info" when
started on AMD Geode LX (x86)
== QA ==
* Tests to cover big.LITTLE cluster init and shutdown have been added to
the big.LITTLE core test suite.
* big.LITTLE extended test case scenarios have been implemented.
* Functional and regression tests for scheduler from ARM have been
integrated, covering HMP patches.
== Toolchain ==
* Linaro GCC 4.8 2013.04 released, based off the latest
GCC 4.8.0+svn197294 release.
* Initial optimized support for Cortex-A53 for arm*-*-* targets.
* Improved support for new ARMv8-A instructions for arm*-*-* and
* Backport of optimizations concerning whether to use Neon for 64-bit
bitops for arm*-*-* targets.
* Linaro GCC 4.7 2013.04 released, based off the latest
GCC 4.7.2+svn197188 release.
* Includes arm/aarch64-4.7-branch up to svn revision 196381.
* Backport vectorizer cost model.
* Turn off 64-bit Bitops in Neon.
* Linaro GCC 4.6 2013.04 released, based off the latest
GCC 4.6.3+svn197511 release. It's the last monthly release of 4.6 series.
* Linaro Toolchain Binaries 2013.04 released, updated to
Linaro GCC 4.7 2013.04 and Linaro GCC 4.8 2013.04
* GCC is updated to 4.8 (in the 4.8 builds)
* RPC support in eglibc is re-enabled
* Version reported by ARMv7 and AArch64 cross toolchains has been unified
== LEG ==
* Linaro UEFI 2013.04 released - bugfix
* Bug:1091447 - UEFI: A9 crashes on boot with ATAGS
* Bug:1067784 - UEFI: A9 crashes on boot with Device Tree
* Bug:1058013 - "device-tree" test failed on vexpress A9 ubuntu
* OpenSSL optimisations
* CTR and CBC decrypt modes have been accepted upstream. XTS mode is
still needs to be done.
* OpenSSL AES code (for CTR and CBC decrypt modes) has been accepted
* package available from Linaro's Overlay PPA.
* SCT is now running without any crashes.
* ACPI topic branch is being prepared for inclusion into linux-linaro tree.
The release details are linked from the “Details” column for each
released artifact on the release information:
Using the Android-based images
The Android-based images come in three parts: system, userdata and boot.
These need to be combined to form a complete Android install. For an
explanation of how to do this please see:
If you are interested in getting the source and building these images
yourself please see the following pages:
Using the Ubuntu-based images
The Ubuntu-based images consist of two parts. The first part is a hardware
pack, which can be found under the hwpacks directory and contains hardware
specific packages (such as the kernel and bootloader). The second part is
the rootfs, which is combined with the hardware pack to create a complete
image. For more information on how to create an image please see:
More information on Linaro can be found on our websites:
* Homepage: http://www.linaro.org
* Wiki: http://wiki.linaro.org
Also subscribe to the important Linaro mailing lists and join our IRC
channels to stay on top of Linaro developments:
#linaro on irc.linaro.org or irc.freenode.net
#linaro-android irc.linaro.org or irc.freenode.net
Known issues with this release
For any errata issues, please see:
Bug reports for this release should be filed in Launchpad against the
individual packages that are affected. If a suitable package cannot be
identified, feel free to assign them to:
Fathi Boudra, on behalf of the Release Team
Release Manager | Builds and Baselines Engineering
Linaro.org | Open source software for ARM SoCs
Linaro Image Tools 2013.04 has just been released.
Highlights from this release:
* Automatically disable automount, and enable it at exit.
* Added Highbank (Calxeda) support.
* Various PEP8 fixes.
* Fixed MMC option for Snowball EMMC board.
* Bug #1034853: Need to disable an re-enable automounter in
* Bug #1095747: Snowball: falling back to booting from emmc when
there is no SD doesn't work
The newly released file is available here:
Milo Casagrande | Automation Engineer
Linaro.org <www.linaro.org> │ Open source software for ARM SoCs